Inhaler Check-up Service
The Inhaler Check-up Service is commissioned in Leeds and a selected area of Bradford (Community Partnership 5). This service aims to improve patients’ ability to manage their own asthma and/or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) through improving inhaler technique and ensuring that they are able to use their inhalers effectively and correctly.
Below you will find information for both Bradford and Leeds services and a range of additional resources.
This service remains paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Inhaler Check-up service is commissioned by The Bradford Moor Practice to pharmacies in and around Community Partnership 5. The Inhaler Check-up service is being commissioned until November 2020 and can be offered to patients with inhaled medication for asthma and / or COPD.
The presentations from the Bradford Inhaler Service Training Evening can be found below.
Please keep checking this page as we will add further links to a range of documents to support service delivery in your pharmacy. Other additional resources can be found below by clicking here.
The Inhaler Check-up service is commissioned by NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). The Inhaler Check-up service is being commissioned until 31st March 2020 and can be offered to patients with inhaled medication for asthma and / or COPD.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the associated risks, this service was temporarily put on hold. However, the service was restarted from 24th January 2022.
Below you will find links to a range of documents to support service delivery in your pharmacy.
Mandatory Training for this Service
- Completion of either the CPPE Inhaler Technique for Health Professionals: Getting it Right e-Learning or attending a CPPE face-to-face or online Inhaler Technique Workshop
- Passing the CPPE e-Assessment
- Completion of the Improving Inhaler Technique Service Declaration of Competence (DoC)
Various e-modules are available to support the DoC:
- Asthma Focal Point:https://www.cppe.ac.uk/programmes/l/asthma-a-13/
- COPD Focal Point: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/programmes/l/copd-a-09/
Other Supporting Educational Information
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary: COPD – http://cks.nice.org.uk/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease
- BTS Guidance: Asthma – https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/standards-of-care/guidelines/btssign-british-guideline-on-the-management-of-asthma/
Primary Care Modules
These CPD e-modules from the Primary Care Respiratory Academy will help support Declaration of Competence. You can access them all at: http://www.respiratoryacademy.co.uk/clinical-resources/cpd-modules/ and they cover: Diagnosis and Management of Tobacco Dependency; Case by Case: COPD; Emergency care in asthma; The value of tests in respiratory disease; *Inhaler devices; Multimorbidity in respiratory patients; Smoking Cessation; Saying no to antibiotics; *Management of co-morbidities in COPD; Key questions on asthma and *Management of co-morbidities in asthma. Modules marked with a * have recently been updated so if you have completed these modules before you may want to ensure you knowledge is up to date.
The Primary Care Respiratory Academy has been developed and produced by Cogora, working in partnership with the Primary Care Respiratory Society UK (PCRS-UK) with endorsement from the British Lung Foundation. Cogora publish Pulse, Nursing in Practice and Healthcare Leader. The initiative is supported by funding from Pfizer, on behalf of the Novartis-Pfizer Alliance, and from Napp Pharmaceuticals.
Useful Resources for Patients
- Leeds CCG: Winter Advice for Asthma Patients – January 2019
- Winter Asthma Triggers – Asthma UK
- Keeping well in the cold: what you can do – British Lung Foundation
- Asthma UK Resources – https://www.asthma.org.uk
- Smokefree – https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree
- Cancer Research UK – https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/
- Be Clear on Cancer – http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/early-diagnosis-activities/be-clear-on-cancer
- Improve your technique in three minutes! – http://www.asthma.org.uk/inhalervideos
- Inhaler Choices – https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/inhaler-choices/
Asthma UK and the UK Inhaler Group have created a new collection of easy-to-watch videos covering all the major brands.
These have been developed with support from the UKCPA Respiratory Group and other organisations as members of the UK Inhaler Group.
These are a great resource to support inhaler technique training for both patients and healthcare professionals in addition to face-to-face training.
Respimat videos for both patients and healthcare professionals – https://uk.respimat.com/
Last Updated: 21st February 2022